Check out the RCUK Review of Physics web site. The Wakeham report is out, as is RCUK’s response. My RAS spies tell me they will have a response out in the morning. So far I have only had time to read the Executive Summary … but the main points seem to be :
- UK Physics is jolly healthy
- Physics research is healthy, but has fallen behind other areas in funding
- Physics education is declining because of funds and interest
- Physics research has a significant economic impact
- High Performance computing is very important
- Universities should be more involved in facility management
- A small body of independent wise people should help DIUS with the CSR allocation.
- Astronomy and particle physics should stay inside STFC …
- … but their funding should be clearly separated from other facilities
Rats. I seem to agree with all of that. Where’s the fun in that ?