I guess you have all been poring over the draft report of the Ground Based Facilities Review, trying to decode its somewhat incomprehensible ranking scores, and either getting excited because your horse is in the lead, or fuming because they have obviously misunderstood why your favourite 4m telescope is crucial. You have until the 14th to get your feedback in … Its not perfect, but by and large they have done a pretty good job I think. In case you are too busy to read it, here is the short version :
- Top priority : Carry on with VLT, ALMA and VISTA please. Thou shalt not touch.
- ELT and SKA : fantabulous. Lets do …. both !!!!
- eMERLIN and LOFAR. Well, if SKA is so good, we just have to.
- Gemini : sorry, squire, down the toilet it is .
- WHT : look, it doesn’t cost much. Oh, ok then. Gone.
- UKIRT : maybe somebody else can pay ? Oh, ok then. Gone.
- LSST : come to think of it, this would be rather nice. I know ! ESO can pay !
- Liverpool Telescope : sorry, not your turn this time
- WASP and MROI : well, they are kinda fun.
Sounds like a plan. Trouble is of course SKA is fantasy land for years yet, ESO is bust, and we can’t afford to increase the subscription. System in chaos. Mega-projects implausible. Hmm. All change ! Bring back WHT and UKIRT !
They certainly bought the product from the SKA propaganda machine. Respect. Apparently Jodrell Bank invented wifi shortly after CERN invented the Web. Or something like that. Fantastic. I am much more interested in SKA than I was a year ago, cos I have been working on very faint radio sources, which are v.fascinating. (See this paper if you can be bothered.) Trouble is, its also made me worried that SKA will be completely buggered by source confusion. Help.